Saturday, June 7, 2008

Two Good Books

Since 6:15 last night, I've read two books. And yes, I'm feeling pretty good about it. :-)

Flashcards of My Life by Charise Mercile Harper is a humorous cross-section of teen angst. The pages are dotted with doodles and drawings related to the story (although I wouldn't say it goes so far as to be a graphic novel) I have to admit there were several times when I laughed out loud. This produced glares from my husband who was attempted to balance the checkbook at the time. But I would read him the hilarious page or passage and he too, would laugh, so all was well. I'm hoping I can talk my oldest daughter into reading this. I think she would enjoy it, but I would also like to get an exact gauge on whether something like this would appeal to freshmen/sophmores. I noticed the author was careful not to reveal exactly which grade the characters were in.

Clemency Pogue: Fairy Killer by JT Petty was also an excellent book. But very different from Flashcards. I would call this a modern fairy tale. It hinges on a line from supposedly from Peter Pan (although this may be pure fiction - after the Challenge, I'll take the time to look it up): "as soon as Wendy had spoken, Tinkerbell dropped dead. Dead as a gossamer-winged doorknob." I was entertained by the book. It would make a great companion for reading with Peter Pan and also has references to Rumplestilskin and other classic tales.

I'm off to do a little yardwork before starting on the next book. And I haven't decided yet what it will be, but you can be sure - I'll let you know how I like it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, that's not from "Peter Pan" as Tinker Bell dies when Wendy is not even in the Neverland. Know what would be a good companion piece to Peter Pan? One that's based on Barrie's notes for another Pan adventure. And this exists! Unlike all the other prequels and sequels before it, this book does not contradict Barrie's original stories.
Click on my name for the announcement page.
And Believe (don't kill!)!